Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dumped the Amish.. kept the muffins

So.. the last batch of oat bran muffins I made spoiled - I have no idea why but I had read a few other people mention you can make the recipes without the starters.. so.. I dumped.. I did it in a hurry - no tears were shed ;)

Last night I made these oat bran muffins from cooking light:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=522196

I used dates instead of raisins (and that's only because that's what I had) - I did the whole thing in the Cuisinart - so it was probably more blended then it asks you to - but they were GOOD.

I may use this as my new base recipe for 'wheat' muffins and play with it a bit (I got some new flours at the outlet in Issaquah that I want to try)

For my 'white' (aka unhealthier) I made lemon muffins - I used the amish recipe as a base omitting the starter (obviously). I used sugar free lemon pudding and vanilla yogurt instead of oil. I also used Trader Joe's cage free egg whites (out of the jug) for the eggs - I then forgot I was halving the recipe and used too much flour - I tried to take it out - but either way at the end of the mixing it was still thick so I added a hefty amount of lemon juice and some more milk, then some agave syrup and sugar to sweeten (sorry no idea how much) - the result was goey yummy lemon.. muffin shaped things (a little too moist to call muffins). I'll work on this recipe a little more.

So - look for more muffin / bread recipes.. without starter!

No comments:

Post a Comment